As part of your DevOps lifecycle, you use canary deployment methodology and introduce new versions of microservice code releases on a daily basis.
- If you're an SRE, you need to accelerate the ability to identify application degradations caused from microservice releases introduced downstream, even when you have hundreds of microservices being updated by multiple development teams.
- If you're a service developer, you need to accelerate your ability to quickly identify degradations (MTTD) for your service release deployments. You also need to understand what business applications and workflows are being impacted and quickly restore (MTTR) to minimize risks to the business.
This article is part of the Splunk Use Case Explorer for Observability, which is designed to help you identify and implement prescriptive use cases that drive incremental business value. It explains the solution using a fictitious example company, called CSCorp, that hosts a cloud native application called Online Boutique. In the AIOps lifecycle described in the Use Case Explorer, this article is part of Application monitoring.
How to use Splunk software for this use case
You can use use Splunk APM MetricSets to identify and respond to frequent microservice code releases, helping you to mitigate business risks using DevOps canary or blue/green deployment methodologies. This drives operational optimization and excellence within your organization, resulting in MTTD and MTTR improvements.
In this example, OnlineBoutique consumes many microservices to run the online sales portal. The ‘payment service’ development team introduces rapid releases as part of the DevOps CI/CD pipeline. They just released v350.10 as part of their canary based deployment methodology.
The following statements are true of CSCorp:
paymentservicemicroservice is used by many applications at CSCorp.
versiontag is a standard at CSCorp. This is instrumented within code for all services.
App_nametag is standard at CSCorp. This is instrumented at all front end services for each application
Frontendservice is the main entrypoint gateway for OnlineBoutique app.
Now, watch this video to find out how you can identity and visualize application impact of canary code releases in this example.
Still having trouble? Splunk has many resources available to help get you back on track.
- Splunk OnDemand Services: Use these credit-based services for direct access to Splunk technical consultants with a variety of technical services from a pre-defined catalog. Most customers have OnDemand Services per their license support plan. Engage the ODS team at OnDemand-Inquires@splunk.
com if you require assistance.
- Splunk Answers: Ask your question to the Splunk Community, which has provided over 50,000 user solutions to date.
- Splunk Customer Support: Contact Splunk to discuss your environment and receive customer support.
- Splunk Observability Training Courses: Comprehensive Splunk training to fully unlock the power of Splunk Observability Cloud.