As part of your DevOps lifecycle, you use canary deployment methodology and introduce new versions of microservice code releases on a daily basis.
- If you're an SRE, you need to accelerate the ability to identify application degradations caused by microservice releases introduced downstream in an environment where there are hundreds of microservices being updated by multiple development teams.
- If you're a service developer, you need to accelerate your ability to quickly identify degradations (mean time to detect) for your service release deployments. You also need to understand what business applications and workflows are impacted and quickly restore them (mean time to respond) to minimize risks to the business.
You can use use Splunk APM MetricSets to identify and respond to frequent microservice code releases, helping you to mitigate business risks using DevOps canary or blue/green deployment methodologies. This drives operational optimization and excellence within your organization, resulting in MTTD and MTTR improvements.
In this example, the fictional OnlineBoutique consumes many microservices to run its online sales portal. The ‘payment service’ development team introduces rapid releases as part of the DevOps CI/CD pipeline. They just released v350.10 as part of their canary based deployment methodology. Watch this video to find out how you can design, build, and implement an effective solution, like OnlineBoutique does.
paymentservicemicroservice is used by many applications at CSCorp.
versiontag is a standard at CSCorp. This is instrumented within code for all services.
App_nametag is standard at CSCorp. This is instrumented at all front end services for each application
Frontendservice is the main entrypoint gateway for OnlineBoutique app.
Still having trouble? Splunk has many resources available to help get you back on track. We recommend the following:
- Splunk OnDemand Services: Credit-based services that allow direct access to Splunk technical consultants for a variety of technical services from a pre-defined catalog. Many Splunk customers already have OnDemand credits included as part of their software license. To request OnDemand Services, file a ticket through the Support Portal.
- Splunk Answers: Ask your question to the Splunk Community, which has provided over 50,000 user solutions to date.
- Splunk Customer Support: Contact Splunk to discuss your environment and receive customer support.
To fully unlock the power of Splunk, we strongly recommend our comprehensive Splunk training. At this stage in your journey, we recommend you explore Splunk Observability training courses.