You've got your Kubernetes data into Splunk Observability Cloud, and now you're not sure what to do next. There are seemingly limitless ways to use Splunk software to achieve different use cases, and you need to start learning how to get value from the platform.
Some questions you might have about using Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring to monitor your Kubernetes environment include:
- How can I identify which pods are failing or stuck in a pending state?
- How can I ensure that the number of running instances matches what I expect?
- How do I know if appropriate resource limits have been applied, and if any pods are exceeding those limits?
How to use Splunk software for this use case
In organizations that use the Kubernetes container management platform, it is common for nodes to run out of resources, rendering your applications unable to scale. It is imperative that Kubernetes nodes are monitored carefully to ensure you can take action quickly when this happens. Learn how to create a detector in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring that monitors for this situation.
In a situation when pod limits are not set, it can consume more CPU usage than intended. Learn how to monitor node CPU usage in that situation so you can prevent impact to your customers.
When a pending state is detected, every second counts - you'll need to quickly alert the Kubernetes support staff who can resolve this incident. Each organization is unique in how it alerts its support team members, whether that happens over email, Slack, or Splunk On-Call. Learn how to configure alerting your staff for all of these platforms so your support team can take action straight away.
Learn how to easily view pod status so that you can quickly and easily troubleshoot and reduce your mean time to repair (MTTR).
Still having trouble? Splunk has many resources available to help get you back on track.
- Splunk Answers: Ask your question to the Splunk Community, which has provided over 50,000 user solutions to date.
- Splunk Customer Support: Contact Splunk to discuss your environment and receive customer support.
- Splunk Observability Training Courses: Comprehensive Splunk training to fully unlock the power of Splunk Observability Cloud. We especially recommend Kubernetes monitoring with Splunk Observability Cloud.
Splunk OnDemand Services: Use these credit-based services for direct access to Splunk technical consultants with a variety of technical services from a pre-defined catalog. Most customers have OnDemand Services per their license support plan. Engage the ODS team at OnDemand-Inquires@splunk.
com if you require assistance.