Digital experience monitoring (DEM) is a customer-centric approach to observability that focuses on customer experience as the primary signal for system health, rather than infrastructure or application availability. DEM helps businesses identify and respond to issues that impact user engagement with their website or app to create optimized customer experiences, ones that are seamless and high quality across all touch points, such as websites, mobile applications, and other digital channels.
Splunk's DEM solutions include Splunk Synthetic Monitoring and Real User Monitoring (RUM). These complement each other, with Synthetic Monitoring utilizing an agent to simulate end-user requests and measure performance, and RUM collecting information only when real users visit a site or application.
|Use Case Explorer for Observability
Splunk Synthetic Monitoring
Splunk Synthetic Monitoring combines the power of synthetic monitoring with an automated optimization engine to help organizations deliver better user experiences, drive top-line revenue, and operationalize performance strategies. To achieve all this, you can use Splunk Synthetic Monitoring to:
- Collect. Track and monitor mission-critical user flows, business transactions, content, third-party tags, APIs and more. Splunk’s monitoring technology uses the most up-to-date browser version to collect web performance data at any frequency, from any location in the world, on any device.
- Trend. Track, establish a performance baseline, and alert on more than 50 user experience metrics, including core web vitals, to get visibility into what matters most to your business.
- Identify and alert. Quickly and confidently alert your teams of performance issues occurring in real time via SMS, email or phone, or through a number of turnkey integrations and custom webhooks.
- Fix. Visualize and perform root cause analysis on performance issues faster, with more confidence and the intelligence required to take immediate action.
- Prevent. Operationalize your performance strategy by integrating performance testing earlier in the development life cycle to proactively resolve UX and performance issues in QA, staging, and user acceptance testing — before they impact users.
Splunk Real User Monitoring
For on-call engineers or service owners who build, deploy and maintain websites and applications, Splunk RUM provides the fastest troubleshooting and most comprehensive view of web browser performance of any real user monitoring solution. Teams fix customer-facing issues faster with end-to-end visibility of full-fidelity data that pinpoints problems from web browsers through backend services. With any framework, and with both multi-page and single-page applications, Splunk RUM helps future-proof your user experience data with two key use cases:
- Troubleshoot customer-facing issues faster. Easily find and fix errors, latency and anomalies from every page, resource, dynamic component, and third-party dependency, for both traditional server-side rendered multi-page apps and modern client-side rendered single page apps.
- Measure every component, regardless of framework. Splunk RUM is framework agnostic, and offers easy OpenTelemetry-based instrumentation to quickly start measuring page experience for traditional server-side rendered multi-page apps and modern client-side rendered single page apps.