- Start monitoring a cloud service.
- Start monitoring a host with the Open Telemetry Collector.
- View infrastructure status via Infrastructure Navigator.
- View charts on a built-in dashboard.
- Create detector from built-in chart.
Get data In
Connect cloud services. Connect Splunk Observability Cloud to your cloud service provider to collect data from supported cloud services in AWS, GCP, or Azure. If you don’t use cloud services or don’t want Splunk Observability Cloud to collect data from them, skip to the next step. You do not have to connect to cloud services to monitor hosts or Kubernetes clusters that run in cloud services, but connecting your cloud account is the only way to collect cloud metadata.
To connect to a cloud service, select Navigation menu > Data setup and search for the cloud service you want to connect to.
For detailed steps on connecting cloud services to Observability Cloud, see the following:
Collect infrastructure data with an OpenTelemetry Collector. Splunk Observability Cloud supports integrations for Kubernetes, Linux, and Windows. Integrations for these data sources help you deploy a Splunk OpenTelemetry Collector to export metrics from hosts and containers to Splunk Observability Cloud. Using the Splunk OpenTelemetry Collector is optional; however, you get higher-resolution data using the collector than from cloud integrations.
See these pages for more information about sending host or container metrics to Splunk Observability Cloud:
Other data sources are available and described in the integration reference documentation.
Additionally, the Getting data in: Configure data ingestion for Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring Tech Talk explains:
- Connecting with AWS using CloudWatch polling, CloudWatch Metric Streams, and OpenTelemetry Collector
- Data ingestion from Kubernetes deployments, such as Amazon EKS, using OpenTelemetry Collector in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring and Splunk Cloud Platform
- Automatic discovery and data-ingestion with hundreds of pre-built integrations
Verify successful data ingestion
After you have completed the setup for Getting Data In, you can verify successful ingestion by leveraging the built-in content found in-app. To view the Infrastructure Overview, select Navigation menu > Infrastructure. If your data has populated there, you have successfully completed this initial step.
Complete foundational training
Complete the Introduction to Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring free, self-paced education course.