FIN7 is a threat actor group which has primarily targeted the U.S. retail, restaurant, and hospitality sectors since mid-2015. FIN7 malware is commonly deployed through spear-phishing campaigns as an entry to the target network or host. The FIN7 group also uses REvil and Darkside ransomware payloads after gaining access to a compromised host.
You need to be able to detect and investigate unusual activities that might relate to FIN7 JS implant and its JSSLoader. These include image loading of LDAP and Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) modules, as well as other activities associated with FIN7's payload, data collection, and script execution.
How to use Splunk software for this use case
To deploy this use case, make sure that you have the Splunk ES Content Updates installed on your Splunk Enterprise Security deployment. This extensive content library empowers you to deploy out-of-the-box security detections and analytic stories to enhance your investigations and improve your security posture. If you do not have Splunk Enterprise Security, these detections will still give you an idea of what you can accomplish with SPL in the Splunk platform or with the free app, Splunk Security Essentials.
Some of the detections that can help you with this use case include:
- Check elevated CMD using whoami
- Cmdline tool not executed in CMD shell
- Jscript execution using Cscript app
- MS Scripting process loading Ldap module
- MS Scripting process loading WMI module
- Non-Chrome process accessing Chrome default dir
- Non-Firefox process accessing Firefox profile dir
- Office application drop executable
- Office product spawning Wmic
- Vbscript execution using Wscript app
- Wscript or Cscript suspicious child process
- XSL script execution With WMIC
These additional Splunk resources might help you understand and implement this use case:
- Use case: Detecting REvil ransomware infections
- Use case: Detecting DarkSide ransomware
- Use case: Detecting ransomware attacks
- Use case: Investigating ransomware attacks
- Blog: Detecting Remcos tool used by FIN7 with Splunk
Splunk OnDemand Services: Use these credit-based services for direct access to Splunk technical consultants with a variety of technical services from a pre-defined catalog. Most customers have OnDemand Services per their license support plan. Engage the ODS team at OnDemand-Inquires@splunk.